When a colleague or coworker loses a loved one, family member or friend it can be a truly awful time. The same is true when it’s the family or a partner of a coworker who has passed away. The grief they will be feeling will be profound, the heartache causing a huge amount of pain.
So if a coworker has suffered a loss, or a colleague has passed away then you may want to reach out and offer them a message of sympathy and support. Thoughtful words can be of great comfort during such testing times.
But knowing the right thing to say or write can be very difficult. Finding the best way to express your condolences can be hard and you will want to avoid saying anything that could cause offence.
With that in mind try some of these condolence messages for colleagues or coworkers that we’ve provided below. They should help to provide you with inspiration to write your own expression of sympathy or can be copied as they are.
Remember to let your words flow from the heart and speak with sincerity, and your message will be received with gratitude and appreciation.
Condolence Messages for a Coworker
These words of sympathy would work perfectly in a card or with some flowers as a way of showing your support.
- The whole office is thinking of you and here for you however needed
- You have become like a part of the family and we were so saddened to hear of your loss. You are in our thoughts
- Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers during this time
- Thinking of you and wishing you hope in the midst of sorrow, comfort in the midst of pain
- I am so sorry for you loss, if there is anything I can do to help during this time don’t hesitate to ask
- My heart go out to you in your time of sorrow. Stay strong
- I hope this card finds you surrounded by strength and compassion. Know that you are loved and thought of, always
- Please accept my warmest condolences, I’m sending thoughts of peace and courage your way
- Sending you strength to get through this difficult time. With love
- You have my deepest sympathies for your loss
- My heart goes out to you during this difficult period. If there is anything I can do then please just ask
- My deepest sympathies during your time of loss, my thoughts/prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time
- I was deeply saddened to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you
- Please accept our warmest condolences, we are deeply sorry for your loss
- Though words, however gentle, cannot take your loss away, still may these flowers sent in sympathy help comfort you today
Condolences to Coworker as a Group
It is appropriate to send a message as a group if your entire department or team is aware of the loss.
- We are all deeply saddened to learn of your loss. You are in our thoughts and we hope you know we are here for you during such a difficult time. With our deepest sympathy [department/tram name].
- Everyone in the office is sending our deepest sympathies to you and your family. Please take all the time you need to feel right and don’t hesitate to let us know if there is anything you need.
- We can’t begin to understand how difficult this is for you. But as your work family we will be there in any way you need us.
- You will be in all our hearts as you deal with such a terrible loss. With love and sympathy.
- The whole team sends our deepest condolences to you and your family. May their memory be a blessing.
- Words can do little to help but we hope you know how profoundly sorry we are for your loss. You are in our thoughts and our prayers.
- May the love and strength of family and friends bring you some comfort. We are thinking of you.
- We hope you can find some peace amidst the grief.
- Our hearts ache for you. We are so very sorry you have lost someone dear to you.
- Please know that your colleagues, us, are here to offer any help or support that you need.
Condolences to Coworker’s Family
You may want to send a sympathy card or flowers to the family of a coworker who has passed away. If so then the messages below will be ideal for showing you care and are thinking of them.
- I was lucky enough to work with _______ and got a chance to see what a great man he was. I will miss him dearly and wanted to extend my sympathies to you and the family
- Know that we are thinking of you, remembering _______ and celebrating his/her life
- My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. It was a joy to work with _______ and I will never forget the warmth his/her smile brought to the office each and every day
- ______ will always be in our hearts and memories
- I am so sorry for your loss. My/our thoughts are with you and your family
- We are wishing you and your family courage and peace during this time of mourning
- Wishing you comfort during this difficult time, and my deepest sympathies go to you and your family
- The loss of ______ will be felt by many. May the memories of their wonderful personality and many contributions be celebrated by all
- ______ will leave a huge hole in all our lives. The office won’t ever be the same without him/her. We will all be thinking of you
- ______ had a tremendous impact on all who got to know him/her. I will miss him/her with all my heart
- To the family of [coworker’s name], I’m so sorry for your loss. [coworker’s name] was a valued member of our team and their presence will be deeply missed. They will be remembered as a hardworking, dedicated and kind person that was liked by everyone they worked with.
- Please accept my deepest sympathies on behalf of our team. [name] was a valued part of our workforce and we will miss them greatly. We will support your family in any way we can.
- Our team sends our heartfelt condolences. We won’t forget [name] and the impact they had on all of us. They leave behind a huge hole that will be impossible to fill.
- The wonderful memories we have of working with [name] will never fade. They were an amazing colleague and fantastic person. We are deeply sorry for your loss.
- We are all reeling from the passing of [name]. They were more than just our colleague, they were our friend. Our deepest sympathy for your loss.
- Please know that we are thinking of and praying for you and your family. We were blessed to have worked with [name]. They will live on in our hearts.
- To lose a valued member of our team has been so hard. But not as hard as it must have been for you to lose your loved one. We are so sorry and hope you know how much we loved having [name] as a colleague and friend.
- [name] was a real friend to me at work and someone I won’t forget. I’m going to miss them so much. I hope you know how much everyone thought of them. My condolences.
Condolence Messages to Colleague on Death of Father
The loss of a father is one of the most difficult experiences anyone will have to go through. So if a colleague is this way then reaching out and showing you’re there for them will be hugely appreciated.
- My deepest condolences to you and your family. May the soul of your father rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family
- Please accept my deepest sympathies for the loss of your father
- Please accept my condolences on the passing of your father. You are in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time
- May the happy memories of your father help bring you some comfort in this difficult time. My deepest condolences
- Please accept my sincerest sympathies for the loss of your dad. You will be in my thoughts and prayers
- I hope you can find strength in loved ones to help ease the pain. Know I’ll be thinking of you
- I can’t imagine what you’re going through but I wanted to reach out and let you know I will be there for you, whatever you need. Many condolences
- I would like to express my sorrow and condolences to you and your family. May the soul of your father rest in peace
- We pray that in this difficult time, God gives you the strength and courage to bear the loss of your father. My deepest condolences to you and your family
Condolence Messages to Colleague on Death of Mother
Much like losing a father, the loss of a mother is heartbreaking and the cause of so much pain. Having friends and coworkers around to support and help get through the period of grief is essential, so offer you condolences with these sympathy wishes.
- Please accept my condolences on the loss of your mother. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
- I was truly sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. Please accept my deepest condolences
- My thoughts are with you during this time of sorrow following the loss of your mother. If there is anything I can do to help you during this time, please do not hesitate to call me.
- May the cherished memories of your mother bring you some peace during this truly awful time.
- My thoughts will be only of you during this terrible time. You have my deepest sympathy.
- I can’t begin to know what you’re going though but you have my most heartfelt sympathies during this time.
- Losing a mom is heartbreaking but we hope you know we are by your side during this time of sorrow.
- No words can take away the pain of such a loss but I hope the knowledge that there are people who care and love you may ease it. Deepest condolences.
Condolence Messages to Colleague for the Loss of a Spouse
Losing a spouse is one of the hardest things anyone can go through. Reaching out to a colleague after they have lost their partner is a touching way to show you care.
- I will always remember [spouses name] as so loving and kind. I will miss them so much and can’t begin to know how hard this must be for you. My most heartfelt condolences.
- [spouses name] was such a kind and loving person. Their loss is felt deeply by everyone who knew them.
- May the treasured memories of [spouses name] bring you some comfort as you grieve.
- Sending my loving thoughts to you and your family. I’m so sorry.
- May you find the courage to get through the coming days. We at work are all thinking of you and here if you need us.
- Your [husband/wife] will be remembered for the wonderful person they were. My sincerest sympathy.
- It’s with such sorrow that I send my condolences for your partners passing.
- I am thinking of you and your family and wishing you any peace you can find. I’m so sorry for your loss.
- Please accept my deepest sympathies for the loss of your spouse.
Condolence Messages to Coworker for the Loss of a Family Member
After the loss of a family member your colleague may be going through a huge range of emotions. Consider reaching out with these messages.
- My heartfelt condolences for the loss of your loved one.
- I can’t say enough how sorry I am. If I can do anything to help don’t hesitate to ask.
- May those cherished memories of your loved one bring you even the smallest comfort at this terrible time.
- I hope that you know how much you are loved and that we are all here for you. With loving sympathy.
- May the support you have received from friends and family being you strength to face the days ahead.
- I’m deeply sorry you have suffered such a sudden and tragic loss of your [family member]. Please accept my sincere condolences.
- Your colleagues will be here with support for you after losing [family member]. You aren’t alone.
- I am praying for you and your family after the loss of [family member]. My condolences.
- I hope you know your work family will rally around you after your bereavement in whatever way you need. We are always going to be there for you, no matter what.
- Sending warm thoughts your way. I’m very sorry you’re having to go through losing someone so special to you.
Sympathy Messages to Coworker for the Loss of a Child
There isn’t much worse than losing a child and so a colleague will need all the support they can get if that has happened to them.
- Losing a child is beyond heartbreaking. There is nothing I can say other than how terribly sorry I am.
- Forget work at a time like this. We will cover for you for as long as necessary. We are so sorry for your loss.
- My most deep and meaningful sympathy for the loss of your beloved [son/daughter].
- I don’t know what to say other than my heart goes out to you.
- There are no words that could help but know I’m here if you want to talk.
- I’m heartbroken over your loss. You and your family will remain in my thoughts and prayers.
- Your little angel was a blessing. I can’t believe they are really gone. They will never be forgotten.
- Please accept my heartfelt sympathies for the loss of your child. You and your family must be going through unimaginable pain but if you need help or anything at all I am here.
Sally Collins is a writer and the founder and owner of Sympathy Message Ideas. Her passion is to help others deal with grief and provide assistance with talking to those grieving. Learn more about Sally.