A sad fact is that with life comes death. It will happen to all of us. But that doesn’t make dealing with or understanding it any easier. The devastation that the death of a friend or loved one causes is profound. And facing up to our mortality can be distressing too. So looking for a way to cope or help with the loss of someone is natural. We seek ways to make tough times that bit easier, as well as some understanding.
That’s why we’ve brought together a selection of the most comforting, inspirational and sad death quotes. These quotes about death can help us to find some peace and solace when a loved one had passed away, bringing closure when we so desperately need it. And as dying has and continues to be a source of inspiration to art, literature and music, as well as talked about by some of the most famous people, there are many quotes about passing away. Hopefully they will either help ease the hurt and grief or find some comfort in knowing others have been through and felt the same emotions.
So use the death quotes and sayings you will find below to remember, grieve, recover and reassure.
|Table of Contents|
Life and Death
Short Death Quotes
These are some very simple and short quotes on death that quickly sum up the deep and long lasting impact it has on people.
- “Death may be the greatest of all human blessings” – Socrates
- “How people die remains in the memory of those who live on” – Dame Cicely Saunders
- “Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them” – George Eliot
- “It is natural to die as to be born” – Francis Bacon
- “Death is the wish of some, the relief of many, and the end of all” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- “No one can confidently say that he will still be living tomorrow” – Euripides
- “Death, they say, acquits us of all obligations” – Michel Eyquem de Montaigne
- “The goal of all life is death” – Sigmund Freud
- “After your death you will be what you were before your birth” – Arthur Schopenhauer
- “No one here gets out alive” – Jim Morrison
- “Nothing in life is promised except death” – Kanye West
- “I want to be all used up when I die” – George Bernard Shaw
Sad Death Quotes
Death almost always brings about unhappiness and despair for those who have lost someone. These quotes reflect that sadness and the pain death brings to those it affects.
Inspirational Death Quotes
Even after a friend or loved one has passed away we can find ways to stay positive and be inspired by the life they lead. Use these inspirational death quotes to focus on the good times and remembering that life goes on.
Life and Death Sayings and Quotes
Life and death go hand-in-hand. You can’t have one without the other. These quotes and sayings look at the relationship between both and the impact they have on another.
Comforting Death Quotes
In the period of grieving after losing someone close to you being able to find some comfort can be a real help. Hopefully these quotes and sayings will aid in the recovery and contribute to the feeling of not being so alone.
Deep Quotes about Death
Death has often been the focus of profound and wise thinkers. Many philosophers and authors have written about dying and mused on what it means to us. These deep quotes about death look at dying in a more philosophical and thoughtful way.
Funny Quotes about Death
To some death can be a source of humour, and laughing at something a way to deal with the grief. These funny quotes about death may be able to give you a laugh at the