Losing a parent is always difficult. But losing your mother or father when you’re estranged is even more complex.
It’s a unique kind of grief that’s filled with a mix of emotions that can be hard to understand.
So if someone you know has lost an estranged parent finding the right words to offer comfort can be challenging.
To help I’ve written these condolence messages aim to give you some ideas of what you can say. Messages that are sensitive to the complexities of this type of loss.
So whether you’re trying to express empathy, offer support or just let them know you’re there for them, these messages will provide comfort during such a difficult time.
Understanding Mixed Emotions
The loss of an estranged parent brings about mixed emotions. You can mention this in your condolences with these messages:
- I’m here for you as you navigate this complex time of grieving an estranged mother/father. No matter what you’re feeling it’s ok.
- In this difficult time remember it’s fine to feel a mix of emotions. If you need anyone then I’m always here to listen and support you.
- Grieving an estranged mom/dad can be really complicated. I hope you’re coping with the mixed feelings. I wanted to let you know I’m here for you if you need to chat. My condolences.
- There is no right or wrong way to feel when you lose an estranged parent. Whatever you feel it’s understandable. Regardless though I’m very sorry for your loss.
- Sending you love as you work through the mourning of your estranged mother/father. My deepest condolences.
- In such a time of loss know that it’s okay to feel a range of emotions. You shouldn’t feel pressured to grieve a certain way. With lots of sympathy.
- Losing someone always throws up lots of emotions. No matter how you’re feeling though I want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
- I heard about the passing of your parent and I can only imagine the mixed feelings this might bring. Please accept my condolences and remember that it’s okay to grieve in your own way, regardless of the nature of your past relationship.
- Losing a parent often brings about reflection, filled with ‘what ifs’. It’s okay to grieve not just for the person but for the relationship that could have been as well.
Finding Peace in Memories
You can find peace from beloved memories. Touch upon this with these sympathy messages:
- May you find peace in any positive memories you hold of your mother/father. My deepest condolences for your loss.
- I hope the good times you shared bring some comfort during this difficult period. Lots of love.
- Holding onto the good memories, no matter how small, can bring some comfort amongst the grief. With sympathy and love.
- Let the good memories, if there are any, be a source of comfort to you.
- I hope the happier times, if any, provide some solace in your grief. I’m very sorry for your loss.
- In remembering your mother/father may you find moments of peace amidst the grief. My sympathy for your loss.
- May the positive moments you shared with your mother/father be something you can look back on with fondness. Whatever you’re feeling I’m really sorry you’ve lost them.
- Hold onto the positive memories you have and don’t forget them. While you may feel conflicted now in time you may come to cherish them.
Support and Understanding
Offer your support and understanding after the loss of an estranged parent with these thoughtful messages:
- I’m here for you if you need me. I can be a shoulder to lean on or a friendly ear to listen during this challenging time.
- My heart goes out to you as you grieve. Know that I am here to support you in any way you need.
- I can’t imagine how you must be feeling but I can be there with whatever support you need. You don’t have to grieve alone – I will always be by your side through the hardest moments.
- I may never be able to fully understand what it’s like to lose an estranged parent but I’m here to offer my sympathy and support.
- I’m so sorry you’re going through such a terrible loss. My words may mean very little but I hope my presence can help you to get through the worst. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you need me at all.
- I’m deeply sorry to hear about your parent’s passing. Even when relationships are complicated the loss can still be extremely hard. I hope you know I’m here if you ever need to talk.
- During a challenging and confusing time I can be there for you with a friendly ear or shoulder to cry. Whatever you need I’ll do what I can to help. Sending my condolences and love.
- I’m really sorry to hear about your parent. This moment might bring unexpected emotions or perhaps a sense of closure. Whatever you feel I’ll be either you to get through it.
- Extending my heartfelt condolences for the loss of your mother/father.
Offering Hope and Comfort
Being comforted after losing someone is usually welcomed. Offer some words of hope with these example messages:
- It’s hard to find anything good in losing a parent. I hope you have the strength to get through it though and remember the better times you had with them.
- Sending you comforting thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. My loving condolences.
- I hope you have some fond memories of your estranged mother/father to look back on for comfort. My sincerest sympathy for your loss.
- Although you are mourning the loss of a parent and hurting I know you will get through this. Friends and family will rally round with support when you need it most.
- Wishing you strength to face the days ahead and comfort from loved ones as you mourn your parent. I’ll be thinking of you.
For the Loss of an Estranged Mother
- I was very saddened to hear about your mother’s passing. Please accept my heartfelt condolences during this difficult time.
- My thoughts are with you following the loss of your mother. I know your relationship was strained but it must still be so hard to lose her. Wishing you comfort and peace in the days ahead.
- Extending my deepest sympathies to you for the loss of your mother. Even an estranged parent is still a parent and losing one is always heartbreaking. Condolences for your loss.
- I’m truly sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. I hope you can find peace and healing in the coming days.
- You are in my thoughts and prayers after the loss of your mother. You may not have been close but she was still your mom, and I know how hard it is to lose a parent.
For the Loss of an Estranged Father
- Offering my sincere condolences on the passing of your father. May you find comfort in the support of friends and family.
- May you remember the good times you had with your dad, even if you had drifted apart later on. My condolences.
- Losing one’s father, even when estranged, can be really difficult. I understand if you’re struggling and wanted you to know I’m here for you.
- My deepest condolences for the loss of your estranged dad. I didn’t know him but I know you had a mixed relationship. However you’re feeling know I’m always available if you need to talk.
- Sending you my thoughts and prayers after your loss. Whether you’re grieving or just feeling empty don’t forget you have the support of friends and family.
The loss of an estranged parent is different to losing a parent where you had a normal relationship. So when offering up condolences it’s best to take that into account.
But make no mistake, your comforting words may not seem like much but they can really help someone as they grieve a parent.