When you receive a sympathy card it’s more than a simple piece of paper. It’s a gesture of support during a difficult time.
While the grief of losing someone may still be raw it’s polite to respond to a sympathy card and say thank you.
These thank you messages and notes for sympathy cards will help you to express your gratitude if you’re not sure what to say.
General Sympathy Thank You Notes
Express your gratitude in response to general sympathy messages with these examples:
- Thank you for your card with kind words and your comforting presence during this challenging time. Your support means the world to me.
- Your sympathy card was a reminder of the love and support I have around me. Thank you for thinking of me in this very tough moment.
- I deeply appreciate your heartfelt condolences and kind words. I have found them to be a source of comfort and strength.
- On my darkest days your message brought some light. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and taking the time to send me a card.
- The warmth of your words in my sympathy card truly touched my heart. Thank you for such kindness.
- Thank you for your heartfelt message with the card you sent. It has truly helped me knowing you are thinking of me through this difficult journey.
- I was deeply moved by your sympathy and understanding. It may have only been a card but it meant an awful lot to me. Thank you.
- Your card was a gentle reminder that I’m not alone. That is so important as you grief. Thank you for your compassion.
Related: Thank you Notes for Condolences
Thank You Messages for Close Friends and Family
When responding to close friends and family a personal touch can make your message more meaningful:
- Family means so much at times like this. Your comforting words and presence have been so welcome. Thank you for being there for me.
- Thank you for standing by me in my time of grief. Your support has been invaluable.
- Your sympathy card was more than a few words – it was a hug in written form. I felt the love and am so grateful.
- I am so grateful for your constant support and the heartfelt condolences. Thank you for being my rock through my struggles and grief.
- The words you chose in my sympathy card were very touching. I took great comfort from them. Thank you for always being there.
Appreciation for Coworkers and Acquaintances
Saying thank you to coworkers and acquaintances will acknowledge their support in a professional yet warm manner:
- Thank you for your thoughtful sympathy card. You didn’t have to do it was very sweet of you. I appreciate the comforting words.
- Your kindness in sending a sympathy card is greatly appreciated. It meant a lot to know you were thinking of me.
- I am touched by the sympathy and support everyone at work has shown. Thank you all for such kind words.
- Your card was a genuine and kind gesture. I am lucky to have such thoughtful colleagues.
- Thank you for extending your sympathies during my time of loss. Your kind words meant a lot to me.
Messages of Gratitude for Specific Support
Your card may have been part of people offering specific forms of support. Acknowledge these with a personalized message:
- Thank you for the card and the beautiful flowers. Not only were your words very touching but flowers really brightened my day.
- Your help during this difficult period has been invaluable. I am so grateful for the lovely words of comfort you sent and for all the help that I couldn’t have coped without.
- The meals you prepared for our family were more than just food – they symbolised real love and thought. Thank you.
- Your presence at the service meant a lot to us. Thank you for attending and for your lovely card. It was great you could be there.
- Thank you for sharing those special memories in your card. Your words brought a smile to my face and helped me remember the good times, even in a time of sorrow.
- Thank you for being a shoulder to lean on and for your sympathizing words. I appreciated the effort of sending me a card.
- The way you’ve been there for me is beyond words. On top of that you sent such a thoughtful card. I can’t begin to say how much I appreciate everything you’ve done.
- Thank you for the touching letter and for being there when I needed it the most. That’s the sign of a true friend.
Thank You Notes for Spiritual Support
If someone has provided spiritual support you can thank them for this aspect of too:
- Thank you for your prayers and spiritual guidance. What you said in my sympathy card was just what I needed and really helped.
- Your comforting prayers and thoughtful words have been a source of strength. Thank you for your spiritual support and guidance.
- I am truly grateful for your prayers and the peace they brought. Thank you for thinking of me.
- Your spiritual support during this tough time has been key to my coping and getting though it. Thank you for the messages and card you sent.
- Thank you for the comforting scriptures and prayers. They have been a source of solace and strength as I navigate the grieving process.
- Your words of faith gave me hope when I was struggling. Thank you for sending such a lovely card.
Simple and Short Thank You Messages
Sometimes a simple and short message can be just as powerful:
- Thank you for your sympathy and kindness.
- Your words were a comfort to me. Thank you.
- Thank you for thinking of me in my time of need.
- I appreciate your kind words and support.
- Thank you for your heartfelt condolences.
Whether you choose to go with a brief or detailed message what matters most is the sincerity behind your words. Hopefully these examples will help guide you to express your thanks in a way that feels right for you.