The loss of a dog is such a terrible time. The bond we have with our dogs is unique. To those who don’t understand that relationship it can seem odd. But the connection we develop with pets like our dogs makes them part of and just as important as our families. So when we tragically lose one we like to commemorate and remember them with touching or comforting loss of dog quotes.
A dog death quote is a short sentence or two that sums up the pain and hurt caused by losing a dog. They can also offer condolences or express sympathy for the passing of someone else’s pet. This allows us to reach out and give support if it’s needed. Often they are just words but can come as part of a quote and dog loss image. These images are a fitting picture, maybe of the beloved pooch, with the accompanying quote.
Quotes about the loss of a dog can help us to come to terms with losing someone so important. They can work as a reminder of how special they were and what they brought to our lives. Especially when we are missing them as much as we do.
They can also help if you’re the friend of or know someone who has suffered a passing of their pooch, as they allow you to reach out and say sorry for the loss of your dog.
Below you will find a selection of dog loss quotes and images. The images are our own creations, and we’re more than happy for them to be shared on places like Facebook, Instagram etc. If you would like to use them on your own website though – please credit us!
We so hope these loss of a dog quotes and images will help you to remember your beloved dog, say goodbye to them in the best way and serve as a reminder of how amazing our furbabys really are.
Loss of Dog Quotes and Images
“I loved you your whole life. I’ll miss you for the rest of mine”
“A person who has never owned a dog has missed a wonderful part of life” – Bob Barker
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” – Will Rogers
“Dogs’ lives are too short. Their only fault, really” – Agnes Sligh Turnbull
“A companion is gone… but the memory lives on”
“The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master” – Ben Hur Lampman
“We’ll meet again in heaven. Until then I miss you more than words can say”
“The bond with a dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth can ever be” – Konrad Lorenz
“I guess you don’t really own a dog, you rent them, and you have to be thankful that you had a long lease” – Joe Garagiola
“Dogs leave paw prints on our hearts”
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened” – Anatole France
“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole” – Roger Caras
“A dog wags his tale with his heart”
“Sometimes losing a pet is more painful than losing a human because in the case of the pet, you were not pretending to love it” – Amy Sedaris
“You will forever be a part of me and live in in my heart. Heavens gain is our loss”
“Someone asked me what the most difficult thing about having a dog was. I replied – the goodbye” – Unknown
“If there is a heaven, it’s certain our animals are to be there. Their lives become so interwoven with our own, it would take more than an archangel to detangle them” – Pam Brown
“If you have a dog, you will most likely outlive it; to get a dog is to open yourself to profound joy and, prospectively, to equally profound sadness” – Marjorie Garber
“Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own lives” – John Galsworthy
“I will never forget you”
“Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog, it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big” – Erica Jong
“You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us” – Robert Louis Stevenson
“I miss you more each day”
“His ears were often the first thing to catch my tears” – Elizabeth Barrett Browning
“The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon. But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died, what would become of me?” – Sir Walter Scott
“A good dog never dies. He always stays. He walks besides you on crisp autumn days when frost is on the fields and winter’s drawing near. His head is within our hand in his old way” – Mary Carolyn Davies
“I won’t forget you. We’ll meet again, in heaven”
Dog Sympathy Quotes
You might want to reach out to someone who has lost their dog and say how sorry you are. If so then try one of these sympathy messages. They should help you to find the right words to offer some comfort to those grieving for their passed pet.
Your pal will always be by your side, watching over you
A loyal companion and best friend. May their memories bring you comfort in this time of loss
You’ve lost a dog but gained a guardian angel
No longer by my side but forever in my heart
In my heart, always. No matter how or when we lose our furry friends, their love lasts a lifetime
- “Dogs die. But dogs live, too. Right up until they die, they live. They live brave, beautiful lives. They protect their families. And love us. And make our lives a little brighter. And they don’t waste time being afraid of tomorrow” – Dan Gemeinhart
- “A pet is never truly forgotten until it is no longer remembered” – Lacie Petitt
- “I have sometimes thought of the final cause of dogs having such short lives and I am quite satisfied it is in compassion to the human race; for if we suffer so much in losing a dog after an acquaintance of ten or twelve years, what would it be if they were to live double that time?” – Sir Walter Scott
- “If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans” – James Herriot
- “If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven” – James Thurber
- “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog” – M K Clinton
- “Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe.We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made” – Roger A. Caras
- “Do dogs understand death? Do they have souls? Do they go to heaven? I have always believed so, but this confirmed that all of God’s creatures, humans and animals, have a soul and that we will all be reunited in heaven.
My pastor once told me, ‘If there are no dogs in heaven I don’t want to go’. I agree” – Glenwood McNabb
- “One day we will again see our animals in the eternity of Christ” – Pope Paul VI
- “Grief is so painfully real, regardless of its origin. The love of, and attachment to, an animal friend can equal that of human relationships. Likewise, the loss of an animal can be just as devastating” – Rev. Joel L. Morgan
Condolences for Loss of a Dog
These condolence messages are written with a grieving dog owner in mind. They would be perfect in a card or note to the mourning . Perhaps with a gift if you’re sending one. Or even just shared on Facebook. Whatever you prefer or is best for those suffering the loss, do try to offer your love and support to them during such a difficult time.
- I’m so terribly sorry for your loss. You have my most sincere condolence and I will be thinking of you
- I know the strong bond that you and ________ had and so how this must be for you. If you need anything then I can be there for you – please don’t hesitate to ask
- Dogs are taken from us far too soon. We can only hope we made their lives happy for the short time we were blessed with their presence. I know for sure you did. My condolences during an awful time
- We will all miss _______’s wagging tail and happy face. She/he will live forever on in our hearts though, and the good memories sustain us through the hard times. Wishing you some comfort and peace in the coming days
- Take as long as you need and remember that friends and family are all here for support if you need us. My deepest condolences
- I’m so sorry for such a heartbreaking loss. ______ was the perfect dog and could make friends with anyone he/she met. We will him him/her dreadfully. We hope you’re coping – don’t forget we’re just a call away
- Try to find the strength to see you through this painful time in friends and family. They will be there for you. Sending my most sincere sympathy
- Remember all the good times you and ______ had together. There were so many and they can’t be forgotten, just like he/she never will be. Offering my best for you to get through this
- We will be there for you to help you get through this. You have all our support, love and sympathy if you require it. Stay strong
- Wishing you brighter days ahead and the storm clouds to clear so you can remember the great mementoes you had with _____. My sympathies are with
Quotes to Help Understand the Grief
- “The risk of love is loss, and the price of loss is grief – but the pain of grief is only a shadow when compared with the pain of never risking love” – Hilary Stanton Zunin
- “No one ever really dies as long as they took the time to leave us with fond memories” – Chris Sorensen
- “The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not ‘get over’ the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same nor would you want to” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
- “Grief is the price we pay for love” – Queen Elizabeth II
- “When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight” – Kahlil Gibran