Saying rest in peace (RIP) and paying tribute to someone after their death is hard but necessary. Life, unfortunately, means there has to be death. It is inevitable, and as much as we hate losing those special people from our lives we have to come to terms with the grief.
But we can find comfort and support in our friends, family and loved ones after a bereavement. However, we still have to find our own way to say goodbye to those who pass away.
And we often express our goodbyes and mourn the loss of someone with rest in peace quotes or messages and images. A rest in peace message is a short sentence or two that offers condolences, expresses your sadness for someone’s passing or is a fitting quote for the deceased.
They can either be words on their own or come alongside or as part of a rest in peace image. These images are usually an appropriate picture, maybe flowers or candles, with the accompanying quote.
Below you will find a selection of rest in peace pictures. We hope these rest in peace images and quotes will help to express your feelings of loss and allow you to say goodbye in the most touching and thoughtful way.
Rest in Peace Quotes and Images
You were the most amazing person and light of my life. I will miss you more than words can say. Rest in peace
I know you’re always there, in our hearts, watching over and guiding us. We miss you so much. Rest in peace
My dearest friend rest in peace
We will meet again. Of that I’m sure. Rest in peace
Too well loved to ever be forgotten. Rest in peace
With a broken heart and sadness in in my soul I miss you more every day. Rest in peace
I feel your presence even though you’re gone. You will be missed so much. Rest in peace
Sending my deepest and most heartfelt condolences for your tragic loss. Deepest sympathy
Your memory will never fade. Rest in peace
I pray that your soul finds peace. I’ll miss you
We won’t forget you. Rest in peace
My heart hurts every time I think about you. Rest in peace
Not even death can break the bond we had. You were the most amazing person. May you rest in peace
You are always loved Andy never forgotten. Rest easy
May your soul rest in peace
To the world you may have just been somebody, but to all of us you were the world
Time can never fade the memories of you. You have touched our lives in so many ways it’s impossible to ever forget you
There are no goodbyes. Wherever you are, you’ll be in my heart
Our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. We are sorry for your loss
Just to hear your voice one more time…
You were not just my friend, you were my confidant and my source of inspiration and motivation. You will always stay alive in my memories and heart
RIP my friend
I want to find a quiet place, to sit with you a while, to talk about the happy times, and hope that makes you smile. Rest in peace
You were not just my friend, you were my confidant and my source of inspiration and motivation. Though we cannot see you or meet you, you will always stay alive and smiling in our memories and hearts. May your soul rest in peace
If tears could be a stairway and memories were a lane, we would right up to heaven and bring you back again
Nothing is more painful in this world than losing someone you love so dearly. You have left some wonderful memories that will never fade from my heart
It’s so hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember
Our memories together will keep me going. I feel your presence even though you have gone
A thousand words won’t bring you back, I know because I’ve tried; Neither will a thousand tears, I know because I’ve cried
You will be missed forever and always. The beautiful moments you shared with us will never be forgotten. Rest in peace
I know that your kind soul is in Paradise watching over us. Until we meet again
Please accept my sincere condolences. Deepest sympathies to you and your family
Our thoughts are with you. We are so sorry for your loss
Thoughts and prayers for you. My deepest sympathy
I’ll remember you. When I’ve forgotten all the rest. You to me were true. You to me were the best
Goodbyes are not forever, and not the end; It simply means I’ll miss you until we meet again
You are in our thoughts and in our heartfelt prayers
You are forever in our hearts. We can’t wait to be with you again
No words can describe how sorry I am for your loss. My condolences to you and your family
Always on my mind; forever in my heart
We want you to know we are thinking of you and you are in our prayers. Our heartfelt sympathies
You were my world. I will cherish every second I spent with you. Rest in peace
With deepest sympathy for your loss
Treasured in my heart you’ll stay, until we meet again someday
Love is how you stay alive even after you’re gone
Life should not only be lived, it should be celebrated. In loving memory
These images are all our own, created by ourselves and are free to be shared on places like Facebook and Twitter. But please credit us if you use them on your website!
Short RIP Messages
- Rest in peace, dear friend.
- May your soul rest in peace.
- I hope God accepts you with the same love and care you gave me.
- In loving memory.
- You will be missed.
- Forever in our hearts.
- Gone but not forgotten.
- Rest easy.
- We will always remember you.
- Sleep in eternal rest.
Touching RIP Messages
- You brought more joy to our lives than we can and we will miss you dearly.
- The memories you have left behind will carry your spirit forever.
- We miss you but take comfort in knowing that you are at peace.
- I will always cherish the time I spent with you.
- Your legacy will live on through all you achieved and brought to this world. Rest well.
- Thank you for all the love and joy you brought to so many lives. You are beloved more than you’ll ever know.
Rest in Peace Messages for a Friend
- My heart is heavy and I’m going to miss you. Rest in peace, my dear friend.
- You were the most amazing friend and I feel blessed to have known you. Rest easy.
- I will cherish the memories we made together. They will forever hold a special place in my heart. Rest in peace.
- Thank you for being a true friend. I was lucky to have had you in my life. RIP
- The world has lost a beautiful soul. Rest in peace, my friend.
- You were more than a friend, you were family. Rest easy and know that you are loved.
Rest in Peace Messages for Family Members
- You were the rock of our family. Rest in peace.
- Your passing has left a void in our family that can never be filled. Rest in peace, beloved [family member].
- Thank you for the love and guidance you gave me. You were such an important part of my life.
- Our family has lost someone so special. You’re with the angels now.
- You will remain in my heart for all time. I know the whole family will miss you. We hope you’re looking over us in heaven.
Rest in Peace Messages for Grandmother
- My sweet grandmother, I can’t believe you’re truly gone. Rest in peace.
- The love and wisdom you gave me will continue to guide me through my life. Rest easy my beloved gran.
- I look back on your life with admiration and gratitude. You taught me so much. Rest well, Nan, I love you.
- May you enjoy your place in heaven, grandma.
- Goodbye gran, may you soar with the angels and always be at peace.
Rest in Peace Messages for Grandfather
- We will always remember the wonderful man you were. Goodbye grandpa, may you rest in peace.
- To a father, husband and grandfather – may you rest peacefully in heaven.
- We were so fortunate to have you. Rest well grandpa.
- A life well lived! In memory of grandfather [name].
When to use ‘Rest in Peace’
Rest in peace should be used after someone passes away. You say it to a friend or family member to show you are sorry for their loss.
But it can also be said when you have lost someone you care about. You would use it as a part of honoring their life and to show you hope they are happy wherever they are now.
Funeral and memorial services often feature the phrase ‘rest in peace’ as well. If you are attending a funeral you are almost guaranteed to hear it at some point.
It can be written in a card too if you are sending one with flowers to the bereaved family. A note to go alongside flowers or a gift that wishes the deceased ‘rest in peace’ is proper and fitting.
Basically any time someone dies many of us will say RIP.
Is it OK to Say ‘Rest in Peace’ or RIP?
Both RIP and ‘rest in peace’ are appropriate to say after someone passes away. They can be used to express your condolences and as a way of saying goodbye to the deceased.
It’s a phrase we are all familiar with and understand it’s meaning. If you say it to someone after they have lost a loved one it will convey your sorrow and act as a respectful way to show your sympathy.
It also doesn’t have any real religious links either which makes it more universally acceptable.
So you should feel confident using rest in peace in many situations that involve the sad death of someone. It’s a phrase you can’t really go wrong with.
What to Say Instead of Rest in Peace?
If you prefer to say something other than rest in peace then there are a few options. Many people prefer using something more original when they’re delivering a eulogy or saying something at a memorial as it’s such a commonly used phrase.
These are a few alternatives to rest in peace:
- May you rest easy in grace.
- Rest in Paradise.
- Rest with angels.
- Sleep well and rest in love.
- May your soul find peace.
Hopefully these rest in peace quotes and messages have been helpful in honoring a loved one. You can also say goodbye in other ways, like prayer, visiting their resting place, talking to their family or sending flowers. Nowadays you can even use the internet with email and social media to say your farewells.
However you choose to remember someone it’s important to keep their memories alive and say farewell in the most fitting way.