When we lose someone so important from our lives, like a father, it’s normal to miss them. When all you’ve known is your dad always being there to find him suddenly gone is a huge shock.
Losing your father also means a loss of security, of the man you looked up to and who was there for you during those toughest times.
So it’s understandable to be thinking ‘I miss you dad’ long after he has passed away. And it’s hard not to let that sadness become the thing you remember most about him.
But the treasured memories we have of our fathers can provide some comfort amongst the pain and grief. When we look back on them and remember what our dads brought to our lives we should do so with positivity.
Hopefully these missing you dad quotes, messages and sayings will help with remembering the best of your dad, providing comfort when you’re really missing him or even for use in a memorial or fitting tribute to your dad.
I Miss you Dad Quotes
These famous quotes are about missing your dad and all that fathers mean to us. Use them to remember how special your dad was.
- “A father’s love is forever imprinted on his child’s heart” – Jennifer Williamson
- “This is the price you pay for having a great father. You get the wonder, the joy, the tender moments – and you get the tears at the end, too” – Harlan Coben
- “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could ever give another person. He believed in me” – Jim Valvano
- “No matter how old we are, we still need our dads, and wonder how we’ll get by without them” – Jennifer Williamson
- “He was a father. That’s what a father does. Eases the burdens of those he loves. Saves the ones he loves from painful last images that might endure for a lifetime” – George Saunders
- “That man is a success – who has lived well, laughed often and loved much, who has gained the respect of intelligent men and the love of children, who has filled his niche and accomplished his task. who leaves the world better than he found it, who has never lacked appreciation of earth’s beauty or failed to express it, who looked for the best in others and gave the best he had” – Unknown
- “My father didn’t tell me how to live. He lived and let me watch him do it” – Unknown
- “When you’re young, you think your dad is Superman. Then you grow up, and you realize he’s just a regular guy who wears a cape” – Dave Attell
- “My appreciation for my father’s greatness cannot be measured” – Jennifer Williamson
- My Daddy was my hero. He was always there for me when I needed him. He listened to me and taught me so many things. But most of all he was fun” – Bindi Irwin
READ MORE: Words of Sympathy for the Loss of a Father
Miss you Dad Messages
If you’re remembering your dad on the anniversary of his passing away or looking for the words to pay tribute to him then these messages should help inspire you.
- Not a second goes by when I don’t think about you dad. I love you so much and will always miss you
- You never expect the day to come where your dad isn’t around anymore – not sitting in his favorite chair or reading the paper. Nothing prepares you for it. And it doesn’t matter how much time passes, how many years go by, you still miss your dad like it was only yesterday he left
- You will forever be in my heart dad. Missing you so much
- Wherever you are dad I hope you’re looking down and watching over me, keeping me safe like you always used to. I miss you so much it hurts sometimes
- To the best dad there ever was, you are missed greatly and thought of often. I owe you more than you could ever know. Goodbye my sweet father
- Everything changed when I lost you, dad. It’s so hard to go on as if nothing is different or get back to normal, but with you gone I can’t. I just can’t stop missing you
- Not a day will go by where I don’t think about you and not a second where I don’t miss you. Goodbye dad
- I feel privileged to have loved someone so much but such sadness as your leaving. I am missing you, your warmth and the fact you could make everything seem alright
- Thank you for all you did for us dad. I feel so lucky to have had a father like you.. I really miss you
- You were there when I was young and I fell, you picked me up and made it right. Then as I got older you did the same with any problems I had. I don’t know what I’m going to do without you dad, I just miss you so much
- Knowing everyday you aren’t with us anymore is such a struggle. I miss you and wish you were still here dad
- Even though I miss you like I’ve never missed anyone else my only hope and comfort is you are happy wherever you are and smiling down on me
- When I lost you it left a hole that could never be filled. I miss you every second of every day and can’t help but cry when I remember all the special moments we had together. Goodbye dad, you will never be forgotten
- I never got the chance to tell you how much you meant to me dad. And now you’re gone it’s too late and all do is miss you like crazy
- I couldn’t have loved anyone more than I loved you dad. I will miss you forever
- You will always be in my heart, dad. I miss you every day
- It’s because the time I had with you was so great and the love so strong that I miss you as much as I do. I was so blessed but that makes it hurt even more
- I am who I am today because of your guidance, your teachings and your love. I miss you more with each day that passes
- Even though you’ve been gone a while and life has moved on it doesn’t mean I don’t think of you and miss you all the time. I won’t ever forget you and how much I miss you won’t ever fade
- When times are tough I still look to you, even though you’re not there anymore. I will always need someone like you, and it makes me miss you even more
Missing Dad Quote From Daughter
- “The loss of my father will always sting. But now, everything that I do is in honor of him and celebrates his life” – Adrienne C. Moore
- “A father holds his daughter’s hand for a short while, but he holds her heart forever” – Unknown
- “The love between a father and daughter is forever” – Unknown
- “I am not ashamed to say that no man I ever met was my father’s equal, and I never loved any other man as much” – Hedy Lamarr
- “My dear father; my dear friend; the best and wisest man I ever knew, who taught me many lessons and showed me many things as we went together along the country by-ways” – Sarah Orne Jewett
- “Dad, even a fleeting memory of your loving smile is enough to light up my darkest days” – Unknown
- “One of the greatest gifts I’ve ever gotten came from God. I call him daddy” – Unknown
- “There is no expiration date on the love between a father and his child” – Jennifer Williamson
- “When my father didn’t have my hand, he had my back” – Linda Poindexter
- “They don’t make men like my daddy anymore” – Loretta Lynn
Missing Dad Quotes From Son
- “The loss of my father was the most traumatic event in my life – I can’t forget the pain” – Frank Lowy
- “Dad, wherever you are, you are gone but you will never be forgotten” – Conrad Hall
- “My Father didn’t tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it” – Clarence Budington Kelland
- “We became friends, not just father and son” – Richard Bergeron
- “With sons and fathers, there’s an inexplicable connection and imprint that your father leaves on you” – Brad Pitt
- “The greatest gift I ever had came from God, and I call him Dad!” – Unknown
- “My dad was my best friend and greatest role model. He was an amazing dad, coach, mentor, soldier, husband and friend” – Tiger Woods
- “It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons” – Johann Friedrich Von Schiller
- “Thanks Dad, for all those extraordinary lessons you taught me – without even trying” – Unknown
- “A father is neither an anchor to hold us back nor a sail to take us there but a guiding light whose love shows us the way” – Unknown
It doesn’t matter how much time passes – you will always miss your dad. They are like no one else, a guardian, friend, parent and just amazing person all in one.
So when dealing with the pain and sadness of losing your dad anything that can help should be grabbed with both hands. Hopefully these missing you quotes and messages will bring some comfort and will have allowed you to express just how much you loved and miss your father.
For more sympathy resources try these:
- What to Write in a Sympathy Card: The Ultimate Guide
- Sympathy Card Messages: 75 Examples of What to Write
- 45 Celebration of Life Quotes for a Celebration of Life Ceremony
- Gone too Soon Quotes
Sally Collins is a writer and the founder and owner of Sympathy Message Ideas. Her passion is to help others deal with grief and provide assistance with talking to those grieving. Learn more about Sally.
They Say That In Time The Pain Of Losing My Dad Will Heal I Miss Him Every Day Great Dad Really Was