An anniversary of a loved ones death is always tough. It can open old wounds and rekindle memories that we haven’t thought about for a long time.
After I lost my husband the first anniversary was one of the hardest I went through. Even after the funeral and a year had passed I thought I’d somewhat come to terms with grief but it still hit me so hard.
The pain of a loss never fully goes and is often at it’s rawest and most vivid on days like anniversaries. But whilst for some like me it’s a day that brings back unwanted grief, for others it’s a chance to celebrate someone’s passing.
And if appropriate then you may want to offer your condolences on the anniversary of a death of a loved one to their family or friends. It may even be a significant date like a birthday or holiday – these can be just as difficult as the death anniversary.
Whatever it is reaching out with a message or card can show they’re in your thoughts and you’re there for them.
If you aren’t sure what to write as a death anniversary message for a card or what to say to someone on the anniversary of a loved ones passing then try some of the examples below.
You will find the best quotes and sayings to offer your sympathies or great wording examples for commemorating and remembering the anniversary of losing someone special from your life.
|Table of Contents|
Loss of a Child
How to Celebrate a Death Anniversary
Tips for Coping with Grief
Death Anniversary Quotes
These quotes provide a heartfelt and perceptive look at the effect that death and losing someone special has on people. They are perfectly suited for a death anniversary card or to be shared on Facebook to show you’re thinking of someone remembering a lost one.
- “Death is never an end, but a To Be Continued…” – Renée Chae
- “They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. Death cannot kill what never dies” – William Penn
- “The life of the dead is placed in the heart of the living” – Cicero
- “To live in the hearts of those we love is never to die” – Hazel Gaynor
- “Although it’s difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, May looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow” – Unknown
- “Good men must die, but death cannot kill their names” – Proverb
- “While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil” – John Taylor
- “Life is eternal, and love is immortal, and death is only a horizon; and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sigh” – Rossiter Worthington Raymond
- “Those we love and lose are always connected by heartstrings into infinity” – Terri Guillemets
- “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard” – A.A. Milne
- “To live in the hearts of those we love is never to die” – Thomas Campbell
- “Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us every day. Unseen, unheard, but always near; still loved, still missed and very dear” – Anonymous
- “In your life you touched so many, in your death many lives were changed” – Melinda Jones
- “Loss can remind us that life itself is a gift” – Louise Hay and David Kessler
- “What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes part of us” – Helen Keller
- “Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy” – Unknown
- “The pain passes, but the beauty remains” – Pierre Auguste Renoir
- “Love grows more tremendously full, swift, poignant, as the years multiply” – Zane Grey
- “It’s not always the tears that measure the pain. Sometimes it’s the smile we fake.” – Unknown
- “When a great man dies, for years the light he leaves behind him, lies on the paths of men” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
One Year Death Anniversary Quotes
The 1st anniversary of a death is usually the hardest. Time is a great healer but a year is still very recent so those feelings of grief and despair will still be lingering. These quotes and sayings may help with coming to terms with a death or to offer a small amount of comfort to a friend/family member who is facing a 1st year anniversary of a loved ones departure.
- A year has gone by and I still miss you more than I can possibly say. Rest in peace
- Even after an entire year your loss hurts more than ever. I will never forget you
- As each day passes we miss you more and more. Rest in peace
- A year doesn’t seem like such a long time but without you here it has felt like eternity. Not a day goes by we don’t long to have you back
- Even after a year my heart aches for you. You were the light of my life and I shall always remember our time together
- You will always have a place in my heart and, a year, two or even eternity won’t see your memory fade. I love you my darling
- Those special memories we made help you to live on even though you’re gone. I will use today, the 1st anniversary of your passing, to remember what a truly wonderful person you were
- Time moves so slowly and even after a whole year I don’t think I’ve fully accepted you’re gone
- The pain of losing you will never fade. After a year I’m still lost without you
- “I remember the first day without you… I’ve never been the same” – Jennifer Ross
- 1 year to this day heaven gained a new angel and I lost my soulmate. You shall never be forgotten my love
- A year of grief and pain yet you’re still all I can think about. Rest in peace
- Since you left I’ve felt nothing but sorrow. I long to see you one last time and tell you how much I miss you
- On the one year anniversary of your death I will raise a glass to a true inspiration
- We mark a year of your passing with the same feelings as every other day – sadness that you’re gone and wishing we could tell you one last time how much we care for you
Death Anniversary Messages
Use these messages to send or say to someone on the anniversary of the passing of a loved one. They will appreciate you taking the time to think of them on what is likely to be an emotionally hard day.
- Sending you my warmest thoughts and hugs on this anniversary
- Hoping you find strength on such a difficult day. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you need anything
- May the love and support of friends and family help you find the strength to get through today
- You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong
- Goodbyes hurt when the story is not finished and the book has been closed forever
- Wishing you heartfelt sympathies on such a trying day
- I hope you can find some peace and think of happier memories on a day like today
- Please accept my most heartfelt condolences on such a tough anniversary
- Grief is the last act of love we can give to those we loved. Where there is deep grief, there was great love
- You never stop loving someone, you just learn to live without them
Death Anniversary Sayings
- Sadly missed along life’s way, quietly remembered every day. No longer in our life to share, but in our hearts, you’re always there.
- The saddest moment is when the person who gave you the best memories, becomes a memory
- Remembering you is easy, I do it every day. Missing you is heartache, that never goes away
- A thousand words won’t bring you back. I know because I’ve tried; neither will a thousand tears, I know because I’ve cried
- Sadly missed along life’s way, quietly remembered every day. No longer in our life to share, but in our hearts, you’re always there
- Your memories are a treasure I keep in my heart, but they can’t answer the question, why did you have to depart
Death Anniversary Messages For Friends
Losing a close friend is so tragic. We never truly get over the important people we lose from our lives. So if you want to mark the anniversary of the death of a friend, or know someone who is also mourning a friends anniversary then these messages are a good way to reach or
- “While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil”
- Sending all my love to you today. Be strong
- The hard part wasn’t losing you, it was learning to live without you
- Praying you find some comfort and peace on such a hard day
- When someone you love dies you never quite get over it. You just learn to slowly go on without them. But always keeping them tucked safely in your heart
Death Anniversary Quotes For Mother
The loss of a mother will be a time of tremendous pain and suffering. If you’ve lost your mom then you can use these messages to remember her life and all she meant to you and those around her. Commemorate her life with a touching mother death anniversary quote.
- You are forever in my thoughts mom, all these years later. Your memory is eternal and I miss you so much
- To my much missed mother – you were so special to me and even though time has passed it never diminishes your memory and spirit. They live on long after you. Rest in peace
- I feel your presence watching and guiding me mom. Even though your gone I know you’re still always there to help if I need it
- I find comfort in remembering the countless good times we had mom. Whenever I think of you I think of us smiling and laughing. I miss you more than words can say
- I have cried so many tears mom, it’s broken my heart to lose you. I miss you and hope you’re up in heaven keeping watch over me
Death Anniversary Messages For Father
The loss of a father is just as distressing as losing your mother. These messages will help to remember his life or comfort others who have lost their own dad.
- Your memory will live long in our hearts dad. Rest in peace
- To one of the most incredible men – you may be gone but you will never be forgotten
- I still pray for you every day and find comfort knowing that your soul is in heaven watching over me. Rest in peace daddy
- We remember your passing today dad and celebrate your life. You were a truly special man and one who left a hole that could never be filled
- Here’s to your father – I know he would be so proud if you
Death Anniversary Wishes For Brother
Many siblings have relationships that are stronger and deeper than we might imagine. So when you lose a brother it can be absolutely devastating. The quotes and messages below will help to commemorate your brother and remember his legacy.
- Another year has gone since we lost you and still find myself inconsolable. I miss you terribly but will never forget your memory and your life
- Today I remember my brother, who was the most amazing person. He will never be forgotten
- My love for you grows stronger every year and I cherish the memories I have of you like no other. I miss you terribly bro
- You we’re my big brother and the one I looked up to ahead of others. Losing you left a scar that will never heal
- We may have fought and got on each other’s nerves but I loved you more than words will say, bro. Rest in peace
Death Anniversary Quotes For Sister
Reach out to someone mourning the loss of their sister or commemorate your own sisters amazing life amidst the pain of missing her with these death anniversary quotes and messages.
- Today I remember my amazing sister. My sister was a wonderful person and today I will remember all the kindness and love she bought I my life. I miss her more every year
- To my dearest sister – every year I think it will get easier and every year it’s just as hard. You were so special I can’t let you go. I hope you’re up in heaven looking down on us. RIP sis
- All the amazing times I had with my sister become so vivid today. She was a one of a kind and I miss her with all my heart
- Your sister was truly special and we all miss her dearly. I hope your coping today and I’m here if you need me
- Until we meet again, Rest in peace baby sister
Death Anniversary Messages For the Loss of a Child
Possibly the most difficult loss to deal with is that of a child. As parents we should never outlive our children. So the anniversary of a son or daughters death can be amongst the most painful time imaginable for the parents. If you know of someone facing the anniversary of their child’s passing or are dealing with it yourself then use these quotes to comfort and offer your support.
- So long my baby. Everyday I miss you and it hurts like the first day you gained your wings
- Losing you was the hardest thing that’s ever happened my angel, and even after all these years the pain is still there. I’m forever thinking of you
- Words fail to express how much I miss you. My lonely comfort is the knowledge I will see you again. Until then your memory helps me through another year. Rest in peace angel
- I offer my most sincere condolences for your loss and the pain you must be feeling on this anniversary. Don’t think twice about reaching out if you need anything or just to talk
- Remember as much of the good times as you can and know your family and friends are here to support you today
How to Celebrate a Loved One’s Death Anniversary
Depending on how you feel about the anniversary of a loved ones death you may want to celebrate or commemorate it in some way. If so then the following ideas can help you honor their memory and allow you to deal with some of the grief.
- Visit their resting place: If your loved one was buried in a cemetery then visiting their grave and maybe bringing flowers or mementos that remind you of them is a traditional way to remember them on the anniversary of their passing.
- Create a memorial:
Set up a memorial in your home using items such as photographs, candles or anything that reminds you of them. You could also create a scrapbook or memory box filled with special memories and items that help you remember them.
- Release balloons or lanterns: You could gather family and friends to release lanterns or balloons in honor of your loved one. Their closest friends or family would probably appreciate being included and part of whatever way you choose to commemorate them.
- Make a donation: if your loved one support a charity or there was an organisation close to their heart then you could make a donation in their honor as a way of doing some good in their name.
- Host a dinner or get-together: Bring friends and family together for a dinner or get together and share your fondest memories and stories of the deceased.
- Light a candle: a small but touching gesture is ti light a candle in honor of your loved one and let it burn throughout the day.
- Do something they loved: you might choose to do something that the deceased really loved doing. It could be listening to their favorite or visiting something special to them and you.
These are just a few ideas to help you find the right way to commemorate the anniversary of a death.
As an example I have an area in my garden that I’ve dedicated to my husband. It’s a small corner with a memorial plaque and bench. I like to spend time there on the anniversary of his passing, usually by myself. But later I have dinner with family and we remember how much we loved him and why joy he brought us.
Whatever brings you comfort and feels right on the day is how you should approach it though.
Tips on Coping with Grief
If you’re struggling with the grief that comes with the anniversary of a loved one’s death know that you aren’t alone. Most people, myself included, find these anniversaries very difficult. Here’s a few tips to get through that grief and pain:
- Acknowledge your feelings: remember that it’s okay to feel sad or overwhelmed on a death anniversary. Don’t try to suppress your feelings or be embarrassed about them.
- Allow yourself to grieve: Give yourself permission to grief in whatever way you feel comfortable with. That might be talking with friends or family, writing a journal or just spending some time on your own. Go with what feels right.
- Connect with others: being around other people can help. It may not be right for everyone but many find spending time with others who understand what you’re feeling and knew the deceased can help to feel supported.
- Take care of yourself: when we relive the pain and grief of losing someone so special to us it can negatively affect our emotional and physical well being. That’s why it’s important to care of yourself. Rest, sleep as much as you can, eat well and do the things that being you happiness.
- Seek professional help: lastly if you’re struggling to cope and your grief is impacting your life in a very negative way then consider seeing a therapist or professional who can help you through it.
For more help in coping with a loved one’s death anniversary these resources can help:
- Cruse Bereavement Support – offer support and advice for anyone grieving or struggling with loss.
- Good Grief – helping children and families understand grief.
- Griefcast – a podcast that examines the human experience of grief and death but with comedians, so it’s lighter and funnier than it sounds.